Name: Lynda Turnbull, Age: 24, Hometown: Billings, Montana, Current Residence: Mesa, Arizona,Instagram: @lyndaturnbull_
1) Hook & Barrel: Where did you grow up, and how did you get interested in guns and shooting?
Lynda Turnbull: I grew up in Montana until I was about 10 years old. My dad is an underground miner, and we moved to Nevada. He got me in to guns when I was about 12; we would go out in the desert and hunt jackrabbits and coyotes with our ARs slung on our backs. We lived in a little town called Elko, Nevada. In Elko, the local gun range had a monthly match, and my first competition was doing that match with my dad. I jumped right in with his XDM. Then about a month later, he bought me my first gun, which was a Para 2011.
2) H&B: When did you realize that shooting was more than just a hobby but something you could be really good at?
LT: When I was 16, I picked up my first big sponsor, and that’s when I realized that I wanted to do this for my profession. Limcat Custom came on as my biggest sponsor at the time, and it made me realize I could do this.
3) H&B: So when you finished high school, what was your next step?
LT: I continued to pick up sponsors, and after I turned 18, I moved to St. George, Utah, to become a firearms instructor for Tactical Performance Center. I kept growing and shooting.
4) H&B: Tell me about competing and winning nationals.
LT: My sponsors make it possible for me to keep shooting; I currently shoot for Taran Tactical Innovations. Shooting and winning national events qualifies you to compete in world shoots. In 2024, I will be part of the Piston Caliber Carbine (PCC) Ladies World Team in the Czech Republic. I secured my spot by placing in the top three for three years in a row at PCC Nationals. There are four of us. I’m also the 2021 Two-Gun National Champion and the Surefire National Champion in 2019.
5) H&B: How did you get connected with Taran Tactical, and what do you do for them?
LT: I met Taran in 2014 at the Pistol World Shoot in Frostproof, Florida. I was squaded with Taran, and he picked me up as my sponsor. I go out to the range about twice a year and have taught for him while I was there.
6) H&B: I know Taran has a lot of celebrity clients. What celebrity encounters have you had, and who was a really good shot?
LT: I’ve worked with Keanu Reeves, Bret Michaels, and Chuck Liddell. I was quite surprised because Keanu was the first movie star I’d ever met, and I didn’t really know what to expect, but he was so down to earth. He was interested in me and so nice. Keanu kept coming back to get better, and he really cared about improving. He was interested in learning the skills and getting better.
7) H&B: What is your favorite gun to shoot, and what is your favorite gun that you own?
LT: That’s a really hard question! I really like shooting open guns, so my Combat Master Alpha. It’s my favorite gun to shoot and also my favorite gun that I own. I’ll never part ways with that gun. It holds a special place in my heart.
8) H&B: In addition to shooting, are there other outdoor activities you enjoy? What do you do when you’re not shooting?
LT: I’m a huge family person. I love fishing with my grandpa. I have a twin sister, so I love hanging out with her. I like to ride dirt bikes and mountain bikes. We’re a very outdoors family. I try to stay active. I’m super into health and fitness. I like fishing and hunting. I also train dogs on the side. I have a German shepherd named Jaxson who I train.
9) H&B: Do you feel an obligation to bring other women to the gun world?
LT: I conceal carry, and I really push concealed carry for women. The biggest thing for me is how empowering it is; the fact that I can protect myself. Knowing that I’m carrying makes me feel a lot safer. Also if I can do it, other women realize they can do it too. You can get comfortable with it, and you will feel empowered once you do. Being able to share with all the women who might be frightened by shooting and show them that they can do it too.
10) H&B: Where is your favorite place to shoot?
LT: The Czech Republic. I’m the 2021 Extreme Euro Champion. And I just love shooting there. They really care about their matches, and it’s some of the best shooting I’ve ever seen.